Sunday, February 1, 2015


Greetings from the Obsidian Tower.

And yes...  I'm smiling.  Happy that we have got things working here at the Tower and the Glade, and able to make the first 7 chapters of our book `Stormalkers'  to you for free.  I truly hope you read them.  I think you will find a great story there in the storms.

In addition, I'm smiling because after a jerky start, the new novel idea is jelling nicely.  After a lengthy period of `thinking the ideas through', I'm getting down a `compendium' of sorts for this new world in this new book.  I always keep a file going on the side when writing fantasy OR horror where I can deposit the facts or the ideas for the story, including places, peoples, social structures, legends, myths, hierarchies and names.  The name of this world, you ask?  The name of this world is Issarnaan (EE-czar-non), and there will be dragons.  However (and as Kevin can tell you), I have never been one to hold to the usual forms of such beasts and magics in fantasy.  I am, after all, a scientist, and I have a tendency to set my magic and creatures in at least a `plausible' kind of existence, giving credence to the physics and sciences I know and work with daily.  However, Kevin has prodded me (an justifiably so) to be a little more magic than science this time around.

Truth be told, I never liked the idea of a magic wand appearing out of nowhere to save the day, a grand celebration at the end, tremendous fanfare, fade to black, ad-nauseum. I think I became attracted to a more `based on reason' magic/fantasy when I first read (and have read many many times since) Ursula K. LeGuin's `EarthSea Trilogy'.  Her take on magic was there are rules everyone operates in, and when the rules are broken, things go badly.  So Kevin (if you're reading this), its her fault.  :)

So I am off to attend to Issarnaan, and the creatures, peoples and legends that will populate it.  Wish me luck... dragons are not at all tame creatures, and I bruise easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment